Re: [News] Gates Retires, Linux Set at Endgame Position

__/ [ Tony Sivori ] on Friday 16 June 2006 03:58 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Is Gates' retirement Linux's chance?
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Take Vista and its endless delays. Even now, after having missed its |
>> drop-dead shipping date, the betas are still, well, awful. Let me remind
>> | my Windows-friendly readers that it's not just me, a
>> Penguin-supporter, | saying this. Even Microsoft's friends are having a
>> hard time finding | nice things to say about its status. |
>> | Take Vista and its endless delays. Even now, after having missed its |
>> drop-dead shipping date, the betas are still, well, awful. Let me remind
>> | my Windows-friendly readers that it's not just me, a
>> Penguin-supporter, | saying this. Even Microsoft's friends are having a
>> hard time finding | nice things to say about its status.
>
> Which is why I see Gates leaving as being about as likely to have a
> negative effect on Linux as a positive one. In other words, the
> incompetence that is Microsoft, that is, the missed product roll outs, the
> overpriced product, the horrible security, the instability and bugs, the
> slap in the face DRM, it just may change.
>
> But probably not. Like the song says, "Meet the new boss, same as the old
> boss."

"Better  the devil that I know than the one whom I don't know", I suppose.
One  thing is for sure: the _customer_ and the _employee_ like no  devils.
The  effect  of  appointing Ballmer as CEO has been  devastating.  Without
Gates  (Ozzie  put in charge of that role), the gentle face  will  further
disappear  from  sight.  Most  people still perceive Gates  as  an  iconic
figure,  respresenting  success (IT-savvy people know that this  'success'
was  attained  by sabotaging competition, but I digress). Paul Allen  left
long, long ago. He even sold a lot of stock in recent years.

At  current pace of closed-source demise and the emergence of Linux in the
mainstream,  my  [News]  posts might soon become obsolete.  With  so  many
positive announcements, this has become an overwhelming chore.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "This sig seemed like a good idea at the time..."
http://Schestowitz.com  |  GNU is Not UNIX  ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
  4:50am  up 49 days 10:04,  11 users,  load average: 6.24, 2.96, 1.98