Re: [OT] Old Ears

__/ [ John Bailo ] on Wednesday 14 June 2006 07:26 \__

> http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5483203
>
> "On the front page of yesterday's New York Times, "A Ring Tone Meant to
> Fall on Deaf Ears." It's about an invention from Britain called the
> Mosquito Teen Repeller, a device that sends out a high-pitched tone that
> most adults can't hear (audio). The intention was to disperse groups of
> teenagers with the annoying noise, but youngsters quickly figured out how
> to use the high frequency signal as a ringtone for incoming cell phone text
> messages. Kids in classrooms could hear the tones, but the older teachers
> couldn't."
>
> Here's the sound if you want to try:
>
> http://download.npr.org/anon.npr-mp3/atc/atc_teenbuzz.mp3

You can test your sensitivity to high-pitched sounds on-line:

        http://www.ochenk.com/entry.php?id=63

I found this yesterday morning...

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Windows XP: Dude, where's my RAM?
http://Schestowitz.com  |  GNU is Not UNIX  ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
  7:50am  up 47 days 13:23,  10 users,  load average: 1.09, 0.94, 0.91