Re: Can SUSE Linux take on Vista? - You bet.

__/ [ Rex Ballard ] on Tuesday 13 June 2006 23:23 \__

> According to CRN
>
> http://www.crn.com/nl/crndailynews/showArticle.jhtml?articleId=188703320
> Looks like ComputerWorld likes SUSE LInux even better than Vista.
>
> About the Only feature Linux didn't support was ActiveX controls.
> Which is probably more of a benefit (Better security) than a liability.
>
> Linux had the drivers.  Vista didn't.
> Linux had the apps.  Vista charged extra.
> Linux had the looks.  Vista was "ho hum".
> Linux had the support.  Vista was "restricted".
> Linux had better support for Enterprise users.  Vista was "not quite
> there".
>
> Linux gave you everything you needed for about $50 (wonder what the OEM
> price will be?).
> Vista leaves you spending even more for apps that are included with
> Linux.
>
> Linux gives you a choice of similar apps.  Vista contains the usual
> half-baked shovelware.
>
> Microsoft has only one way to install 3rd party applications - and if
> DLLs get corrupted you're left with a a problem.
>
> SUSE Linux supports RPM (easiest to install), but also supports other
> package formats used by more "configurable" 3rd party applications.
> RPM properly checks versions and libraries and safely makes the
> necessary updates and upgrades, or lets you know if an install may be
> "unsafe" before installing.
>
> Linux comes with security built-in by default, and doesn't mess up your
> applications to do so.
> Vista requires special configurations for similar quality security
> which may disable many applications.
>
> Let's see, I can have a far better system for 90% less (Linux),
> or Pay 10 times more for a fraction of the capability (Vista).
>
> I wonder, how many CEOs are going to let the CIO pick the "High Priced
> Junk"?

<sarcasm>Boooorrrrrriiiing....</sarcasm> we've heard it all before.

Examples:

        http://www.technologyevangelist.com/2006/05/ubuntu_linux_dapper.html

"To be perfectly fair to Ubuntu I had also played with a copy of Vista beta.
My sound card was not found, the ethernet adapter was not found, and my
graphics has severe issues. So all in all the Ubuntu beta is ahead of Vista
right now."

        http://desktoplinux.com/articles/AT5613250391.html

"As unbelievable as it might seem, OpenSUSE actually seems to support more
hardware than Vista does at this stage in its development. Linux having more
hardware support than Windows -- who says we don't live in a time of
miracles?!"

        http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=32321

"On a very superficial level Vista feels like Windows XP SP2 in a fancy suit.
I really do hope that it is much more than that though."

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Othello for free: http://othellomaster.com
  4:25am  up 47 days  9:58,  10 users,  load average: 1.67, 1.34, 0.91