Re: (OT) Watch the World Cup in ASCII, via Telnet

__/ [ [H]omer ] on Tuesday 13 June 2006 17:11 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>> http://ascii-wm.net/#
>
> ]# telnet ascii-wm.net (Connection refused) busy?

Later on, I managed to get in! Now that you hear about the lawsuits over
licences, broadcasting of games et cetera, this may deem timely.

> Anyway, hehe, reminds me of the first time I saw the console driver for
> MPlayer - two actually - an ASCII one and a framebuffer one.

What about ASCII Quake? It's easy to define some correspondence between
blocks of pixels and a symbol. It's down to brute force from there onwards.

> Seeing a DVD playing in the background of the console at runlevel 3, has
> got to be one of the freakiest things I've ever seen.
>
> ]# ssh -L 5900:oooh that looks nasty. oh yeah
> Bad local forwarding specification '5900:oooh'
> ]# kill him you stupid ... arrrghhh nnoooooo
> -bash: kill: him: arguments must be process or job IDs
>
> They'll be shooting movies in Perl next. I don't see why not; it can do
> everything else.

Oh! This reminds me of Star Wars in ASCII. I saw it in Slashdot a long, long
time ago. Geekery at its best.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz
  5:20pm  up 46 days 22:53,  10 users,  load average: 0.23, 0.39, 0.69