Re: Web-based Mail: Dangerous with Windows

  • Subject: Re: Web-based Mail: Dangerous with Windows
  • From: "Cyberwasteland" <brainfamine@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 12 Jun 2006 21:10:17 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> > Worm wriggles through Yahoo mail flaw
> >
> > ,----[ Quote ]
> > | A new worm that targets Yahoo e-mail users is on the loose, taking
> > | advantage of an JavaScript flaw, a security company has warned.
> > |
> > | [...]
> > |
> > | Systems affected include Windows 2000, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows
> > | Me, Windows NT, Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP, according to
> > | Symantec's advisory.
> > `----
> >
> > http://news.com.com/2100-7349_3-6082934.html?part=rss&tag=6082934&subj=news
> >
> > Amazing! Even checking your E-mails with a trusted (what is "trusted"
> > anyway?) on-line service can screw up your computer.

Moved to bottom for thread continuity...

> melaniec026@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Well I was checking my email this morning while having my coffee.. Not
> totally awake, I was opening an email that I thought was from a client
> and I couldnt stop it!
>
> I am a web developer and seriously considering going to linux.  My
> hubby has already switched.   I am tired with all the security flaws,
> patches, worms, etc...

What flavor of Linux is your husband using? Do you use Java, Flash,
Cold Fusion, ASP... others? I'm only curious. The sites I work on
require different Linux applications, libraries, etc. Sometimes, these
apps and libraries are more readily available in certain Liunux
distributions. Glad to hear there is another Linux user out there :)