Re: Unique subdomains running off common codebase not crawled by Google

__/ [ admin@xxxxxxxxxxx ] on Monday 12 June 2006 12:23 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> __/ [ admin@xxxxxxxxxxx ] on Monday 12 June 2006 08:57 \__
>>
>> > I use a content management system (CMS) installed on my root domain. It
>> > serves up pages to my root domain and a subdomain. The content on each
>> > site is unique, apart from the shared user base. I intend to add
>> > additional subdomains in the near future. These would also have unique
>> > content and share the user base.
>> >
>> > In order for the subdomains to use the same codebase a symlink is used
>> > i.e. sub1.domain.com is symbolically linked to domain.com. The
>> > subdomain shows the content as intended and "people" have no trouble
>> > accessing it.
>> >
>> > The problem is that when Googlebot requests http://sub1.domain.com a
>> > HTTP status code 302 (moved temporarily) is returned. Googlebot stops
>> > dead at the redirect and won't parse the index page. Googlebot has
>> > however downloaded robots.txt and my sitemap from the root of
>> > sub1.domain.com.
>> >
>> > I really don't want to install and maintain separate instances of the
>> > CMS for each subdomain.
>> >
>> > Is there a way to share the codebase with my subdomains without using a
>> > symlink
>> > AND
>> > still serving up unique content to each site
>> > AND
>> > enabling Google to crawl the site?
>> >
>> > Any ideas will be very much appreciated.
>>
>> What CMS are you using? In the case of WordPress, for example, there are
>> at least two separate distributions (Lyceum and WordPress MU, derived from
>> Donnacha(xeer)'s work), which are built for exactly that type of
>> circumstance. They also can be used to share a common database for the
>> subdomains. I can't think of a way to get past the status reported to
>> search engines, so (partial) duplication of files might be necessary.
>> Changing the source code (if avilable in non-binary form) is the other
>> possibility.
>>
>> Best wishes,
>
> I'm using Drupal. I've searched their forums but couldn't find any
> answers there either.

Have you already seen:

http://blogsavvy.net/multi-user-blog-tools-overall-ratings-and-reviews

http://drupal.org/node/67762

To quote from the latter:

,----[ Quote ]
| Drupal can do all those except the multi-blog per single user issue.
| I know that you can use the 'story' feature in Drupal for shared entries,
| but I am yet to think of how you can have more than 1 blog per user
| without having more than 1 user ID because blogs are identified by whom
| they belong to.
`----

There are Drupal -> WordPress importers in case a migration is doable.

Best wishes,

Roy

PS - Given the date of the post, I wonder if it's you who posted the question
in the Drupal support forums.

--
Roy S. Schestowitz
 12:20pm  up 45 days 17:53,  10 users,  load average: 1.14, 1.01, 1.12