Re: Sony Say PlayStation 3 Will Replace PC

__/ [ asj ] on Monday 12 June 2006 00:48 \__

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/pc-gaming/sony-pc-dead-nintendo-for-kids-we-innovate-k-179882.php

> I like sony, but i think it's out of its mind on this one. good luck
> anyways. i like the fact Java is going to be the app development
> platform in blu-rays though.
>
> * the sichuan food was delicious!

I think that Sony are delusional on this one as well. To me, it seems more
rational for TV and entertainment to be replaced by the PC, rather than the
other way around. The two will not survive in isolation for much longer.
They will somehow meet 'half way', so you won't be able to tell which killed
the other. TV's become more like computers (satellite, on-demand programs
and games) and computers are used to play films 'natively' (e.g. DVD) or
on-demand (e.g. Google Video, YouTube).

I still believe that the XBox360, for which hardware costs are covered, is an
attempt to penetrate more space of people's houses. Soon enough it'll be
cable TV (IPTV), telephone, cooking/on-line shopping, etc. But it's probably
all about services and mainframes...

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com  |  GNU is Not UNIX  ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
 12:50am  up 45 days  6:23,  11 users,  load average: 0.57, 0.80, 0.89