Re: Xgame

__/ [ Freerider ] on Sunday 11 June 2006 08:18 \__

> http://xgame.tlhiv.org/
>
> "Xgame launches your game in a separate X session. This allows gamers to
> switch between their desktop and their game with ease. The new X session
> does not run a desktop or window manager. Furthermore, since the game is
> run in a separate X session, the resolution and color depth of the desktop
> and game may be different."
>
> Cool, one thing I hate (well many things I hate) about Windows is being so
> confined to one work space, just make multi tasking so much harder!!

That is an excellent tool, so thanks for pointing that out! I can recall the
way Windows flickers whenever resolution is changed to accommodate for a
program or a game.
I also know how **terribly** annoying it is when some pop-up (e.g. "your
system may not be secure") steals focus and diverts your attention in the
middle of a shoot-them-up networked game.

Multiple virtual terminals address such problems and solve them entirely. To
exemplify further, think of the ability to escape to tty1 (or others) when
the session grinds to a halt. It is possible to manage the system and kill
the rotten process from a nice, responsive environment. Even SSH/Telnet
access would do.

I suppose that to loyal Windows/Apple users, the following would be
miscomprehensible.

,----[ Snippet ]
| root     tty1         May  6 08:26
| roy      :0           Jun  9 09:11 (console)
| roy      pts/0        Jun  9 09:11
`----

The flexibility is *there*, just in case you wish to take advantage of it.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz
  8:20am  up 44 days 13:53,  10 users,  load average: 0.07, 0.39, 0.59