Re: [News] Is Open Source Software Cheaper?

begin  oe_protect.scr
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Wasn't the idea of software by subscription supposed to give customers the
>| freedom to pull the plug at any time? In theory, yes, but then the customer
>| must also factor in the cost of migrating to a competing product. In the
>| case of open source offerings like Linux, the moving from Red to SuSE or
>| vice versa might be nominal. But moving from MySQL to Ingres or Postgres
>| might be another matter altogether.
>|
>| [...]
>|
>| Nonetheless, subscriptions for JBoss, MySQL, or Red Hat subscriptions
>| are typically lower licenses for WebSphere or WebLogic, Oracle, or
>| Windows, respectively.
> `----
>
>         http://uk.news.yahoo.com/30062006/221/open-source-software-cheaper.html

The author confuses a subscription payment to a company for maintenance
with an up-front licence/rtu fee.  The author neglects completely the
possibility to go to a third party for maintenance.

In short, I don't think that the author understands this subject.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill.