Re: Win XP NTFS troubles

__/ [ Chris Wilkinson ] on Friday 30 June 2006 00:56 \__

> Hi there,
>
> I recently had to take the plunge into the Windows world so I
> can learn AutoCAD, so purchased a used P4 2.0GHz and an OEM XP
> with a better graphics card, more RAM, and a new hard disk.
>
> On installing Win XP Home the format utility wrote an NTFS
> partition to install XP to, but on finishing the install
> the bootloader couldn't access the NTFS partition meaning
> no XP to boot. I threw Kubuntu 6.06 LTS into the PC, booted,
> and used QTPartEd to reformat the NTFS partition, and then tried
> to reinstall XP...result? Worked fine!
>
> Seems ironic that Win XP can write an NTFS partition that its
> own bootloader cannot use, yet a Linux tool can write one that
> it can...

There is a certain old myth that says Windows is easier to install than
Linux. Moreover, it is often assumed that Windows can cope with more
scenarios, but come to consider an O/S which not only uses standards and own
conventions, but also backward-engineered a lot of complementary technology.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    England - 1  Ecuador - 0
  1:20am  up 63 days  6:23,  13 users,  load average: 0.29, 0.19, 0.11