Re: [News] EC set to fine Microsoft £1.4 million/day, draft ruling due Monday

  • Subject: Re: [News] EC set to fine Microsoft £1.4 million/day, draft ruling due Monday
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 16:02:01 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Thursday 29 June 2006 15:43 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
> arachnid <none@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
>> The inquirer's a gossip rag, usually right but occasionally wrong so
>> take this with a grain of salt:
>>
>>     http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=32686
>>
>>     By Nick Farrell: Wednesday 28 June 2006, 07:37
>>
>>     THE EUROPEAN Commission has said that it has had a guts full of
>>     Microsoft's procrastination over the implementation of its 2004
>>     antitrust decision and is set to fine the outfit £1.4 million a
>>     day.

>>     A draft ruling will be presented to national competition
>>     authorities on Monday, while an official ruling is expected on
>>     12 July.

Roughly one week after Independence Day, Europe declares the beginning of its
own independence. Intersting...

> I've seen hints of this elsewhere.  I don't imagine MS will pay, though,
> and I suspect that they'll go to the US government to try to put
> pressure on the EU that way.

Bush delivers public announcement: "The Europeans can deploy an army of
risotto within 45 minutes. We shall defend ourself from such offensive
cuisine."

> The fine money could go a long way to covering this month's EU
> commisioner's expenses bill, though... :-)

Yes, risotto can be expensive. These judges needed to be fed (and not only by
Microsoft FUD).

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    England - 1  Ecuador - 0
Tasks: 178 total,   1 running, 159 sleeping,   0 stopped,  18 zombie