Re: [News] Journalist Takes the Full Linux Dive and Survives *Gasp*

__/ [ B Gruff ] on Tuesday 27 June 2006 15:35 \__

> On Tuesday 27 June 2006 15:26 Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Life without Windows
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Ubuntu, a user-friendly version of Linux, has been running so nicely on
>> | my home personal computer that I decided to do an experiment. I wrote
>> | down a list of tasks I normally do with Windows XP and decided to see
>> | how many of them I could do on Linux.
>> |
>> | [...]
>> |
>> | Frustration faded away and a sense of satisfaction set in. I had
>> | survived the weekend without Windows.
>> `----
>>
>>         http://www.manilastandardtoday.com/?page=business06_june27_2006d
>
> Amazing - it sounds as though he came to it cold, and had the whole thing
> working that weekend?

Yes... exactly what I thought when I read this. He's one of these folks that
say "let's go crazy and do a 180 for the hack of it". That sharp turn does
not seem to have deterted even a mediocre (not technology-savvy) with a
machine and peripherals that were designed to work with Windows. He could,
of course, have gone for System76 (US-only), or one of the other vendors
which offer preinstalled desktops, servers, and latpops.

> - how unlike the homelife of our own, dear tab......!:-)

Well, that's just a sad story.