Re: [News] How to Convert Windows Users to Linux

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Tue, 27 Jun 2006 06:59:50 +0100
<1203573.mSv9BStCMi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> ,----[ Selective snippets ]
> | Misconception 1: "Ubuntu is free right? Anything free cant' be that good"
> | Misconpetion 2:  "Windows is the most popular OS correct? That must mean
> |                   its better"
> | Misconception 3: "Linux is hard to use"
> | Misconception 4: "Isn't Ubuntu open source software? Doesn't that mean that
> |                   anyone can add code to it or see its code? How do I know
> |                   I'm safe if that's the case?"
> | Misconception 5: "If Ubuntu becomes as popular as Windows, won't it have
> |                   security problems as well?"
> `----
>
>                 http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=58862

Misconception 6: Linux = Windows because many Linux distros have a GUI.

Call me a purist, but Linux is little more than a kernel;
however, distros such as Ubuntu, Debian, Gentoo, SuSE, and
RedHat enfold the grain of Linux into pearls of beautiful
interface. :-)

Debian at one point started offering a HURD-based system.
It's fairly alpha, though last time I tried to install it,
it wiggled very well -- with some glitches in scripting,
and no X.  Gentoo has a FreeBSD project.  coLinux runs
on or alongside of Windows; I'm not sure which.  There's
probably a number of other solutions out there.

All this cross-fertilization can be confusing, but it's
clear that there's more than one solution out there
and people can mix and match.  This makes for increased
complexity -- buffet versus soup tureen, perhaps -- but
also makes for far more flexibility, even more so than the
already flexible (for Microsoft) Windows framework (a bit
*too* flexible in spots, and not all that well documented).

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Windows Vista.  Because it's time to refresh your hardware.  Trust us.