Re: [News] Critical Dial-up Exploit Preys on Windows Boxes

__/ [ Mathew P. ] on Tuesday 27 June 2006 11:15 \__

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2006/062606-microsoft-warns-of-exploit-code.html

> Can somebody in the media please get their heads out of their back ends and
> quit calling Crackers, "hackers". I am fairly well sick and tired of this.

You're quite spot on and I fully sympathise. There is some real infamy to
this word. I am part of some hacking cumminities (e.g. fixing people's Open
Source CMS's) and the word is receiving a bad rep from the media (which
affects word of mouth too). It almost makes 'hacking' a taboo. And crackers,
much like hackers, are beginning to be perceived as some sort of "cool bad
boys". Also see:

        http://www.dvorak.org/blog/?p=929

I remember this one fairly well.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Bring home the world cup, England!
  1:10pm  up 60 days 18:13,  11 users,  load average: 1.51, 1.07, 0.75