Re: QUINN'S REVENGE

  • Subject: Re: QUINN'S REVENGE
  • From: Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 07:55:11 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
begin  oe_protect.scr
B Gruff <bbgruff@xxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> On Sunday 25 June 2006 20:37 Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> He seems to be a highly sought-after speaker, having made the headlines.
>> He is not depicted as a rebel, but as an entrepreneur/trailblazer rather.
>> As Denmark, Belgium, and soon enough India (no confirmation, only
>> willingless at this stage) are jumping onto the same wave, Massachusetts
>> will no longer be perceived at as a black sheep. It will be remembered as
>> the seminal venue of a revolution -- openness to prevail some of the most
>> commonplace formats. By the way, didn't Norway say it would ditch Office
>> by 2007? I think the PM (or was it President) said this last year. A quick
>> Slashdot search would find this...
>
> On that last bit, and without googling, I don't know - but I thought that
> Norway had a king, if that's any good?  Isn't it the King of Norway who
> sends the Mayor of London a b****y great Christmas Tree every year?:-)

Yeah, it's on behalf of the Norwegian people, of course...

> Roy -  I've just come back to this posting after reading another on FUD.
> It struck me suddenly that I now understand what Fear/Uncertainty/Doubt
> really is.  Just look at what you wrote above.  In addition, bear in mind
> all those places/institutions, of which you are as aware as I am, which
> have now recognised or are coming to recognise the philosophy behind the
> Open/Proprietary formats debate, and then think....... if *you* were in a
> position to decide the way ahead for your company/town
> council/county/police force/library/government/educational institution,
> etc. would *you* be recommending a switch to MS Office 12 and a lock-in to
> their new MS XML?
> - or would you in contemplating it have a feeling of fear.....
> uncertainty.... doubt.....?:-)

I think we're well past the tipping point, now.  For some reason, this
particular event seems to have characterised the tip.  It's hard to be
sure why, since this was by no means the first move to linux for any
city (there have been several examples, right across the world), but I
think this is perhaps the largest so far which is based on Microsoft's
home-turf, so probably where we'd expect to see the greatest attempt
at subverting government process by lobbyists, which is what happened.
Mr Quinn, as Roy C said elsewhere, played it so well, that it became
the tipping point for the US.

As the US media machine runs mostly in English, it will have a big impact
on the UK, and I expect on Canada, Oz, NZ, Ireland, etc. etc. too...

Good day to avoid cops.  Crawl to work.