Re: ten people who CNN says don't matter

__/ [ doug_mentohl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Monday 26 June 2006 15:39 \__

> 01. Steve Ballmer CEO, Microsoft

He holds a position which nobody wants him to hold anymore. Then again, who
can possibly replace him? (10) is not an option.

In today's Microsoft, it is almost like American politics. Nobody credible
and potent can inherit the responsibility and lead all the people with
elevated morale. That's why even Kerry couldn't beat a chimp (speaking of
Ballmer... http://www.ntk.net/media/dancemonkeyboy.mpg ). It ought to have
been Dean running...

> 06. Rob Malda Slashdot.org, [¿¿ say it isn't so  ??]

He truly doesn't matter much. He barely edits, let alone appears in public.
Slashdot is driven by its community more than anything. It's like one of
these "just add water" Web sites...

> 08. Jonathan Schwartz CEO, Sun Microsystems

I don't really agree with that. Sure, the ponytail needs to go, but he's a
new manager who deserves some time before respect can earned.

> 09. Linus Torvalds Creator, Linux [ ?? wha .. ¿qué? ]

Same as Malda. The kernel has a name to remind us of him, but he /himself/
has admitted that he mainly does comminication nowadays. Occasionally he
throws flames at GNOME, too. If only he helped that team of volunteers
(rathet than complain), as a programmer who is not backed by the well-funded
OSDL.

> [The rest I never heard of before. See what they say on who matters ..]
>
> 01 You! The consumer as creator ..

DRM consumer? Consumer of a machine preloaded with Windows and a EULA
awaiting with an angry tickbox? You pay no matter if you show your consent
or not... (I have not read the actual CNN article yet)

> 02 Sergey Brin and Larry Page, Co-founders, Google

There was an article recently about Google, which spoke of the boss-employee
model (or lack thereof). The guys above barely control their free-minded
engineers and even Schmidt, who was named head supervisor (or something to
that effect), has little or no grip over the people below. It's not very
tiered over there. It's anarchy, which at times can be productive, while
attracting some ambitious minds.

> 04 Rupert Murdoch CEO, News Corp.
>
> 05 Steve Jobs CEO, Apple Computer
>
> 07 The Emerging Global Middle Class
>
> 10 Ray Ozzie Chief technical officer, Microsoft
>
> "10 People Who Don't Matter"
> June 22 2006
> http://money.cnn.com/2006/06/21/technology/10dontmatter.biz2/index.htm

Okay, seeing 4 more people, I have lost the will to comment further...
*smile*

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Bring home the world cup, England!
  4:00pm  up 59 days 21:03,  12 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.07, 0.18