Re: [News] IT Skills Shortage is Bogus; Linux Skills Desperately Needed

BearItAll wrote:
Roy Schestowitz wrote:

IT skills shortage -- fact or fiction?

,----[ Quote ]
| More imported workers will be needed and we'll have to send more work
| overseas to outsourcers... Baloney! The software doesn't know, of
| course, that someone with good Windows administration skills can learn
| Linux skills to become the new Linux administrator who's desperately
| needed.
`----

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/0/E5F071C651225E16CC257196001A0BF6?OpenDocument

It's tricky this, because it will cause arguments. But my experience of NT types coming into UNIX or Linux shows that they struggle a great deal.

<snip>

Retraining students that learnt on one of those courses to work on Linux is not going to be easy at all. They will not learn more as they work, they will learn how to put more of it into practice, but if something breaks outside of that small experience, then its yet another call out job. .

It's not just these courses though, it's the way schools teach about computers. In the early 1980s, schools taught computing, they taught what a computer was, what an operating system was, what an application was.

Later in that decade it became compulsory to teach all students computer literacy, so schools dropped the computing classes and started teaching which buttons to press to change the pretty pictures on screen.

We used to regularly get school leavers coming for job interviews already proficient in two or more programming languages, and often having built their own computer from a kit.

Now? Now they know how to type dozens of emoticons, but have no idea why they were invented. They can write a document in word, but only print to the default printer. If you ask them what parts make up a computer, they'll say the hard drive, keyboard, mouse and screen. Bah!

Sorry, rant over.