Re: <TROLL-MORPHING ALERT> Linux Breaks Performance World Record

__/ [ Jim ] on Sunday 25 June 2006 23:46 \__

> Tony Sinclair wrote:
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>>Supercomputer Sets New Performance Record
>>>
>>>,----[ Quote ]
>>>`----
>>>
>>>BlueGene machines just keep improving their own records, I suspect.
>>>
>>>        http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS6665459538.html (September
>>>        2004)
>>>
>>>IBM claims Linux-based BlueGene/L now world's most powerful supercomputer
>>>
>>>There was another record broken some months ago, by Linux of course.
>>
>> Yawn. I'll be sure to recomend linux to everybody I know who got a
>> supercomputer in there house.
>
> no need, already got me one of those. And it runs Linux (specifically,
> Debian 3.1r2 for i386 & LTSP 4.2u1) over one head node and eleven
> compute nodes, all AMD Athlon XP2400+ processors with 512MB RAM each,
> with Gigabit ethernet interconnect (OK, not the most efficient use of
> copper cable, but what can you do on a domestic budget?). Hella powerful
> piece of kit - nowhere near BlueGene/L by a long chalk, but knowing I
> can do it and build a good stable cluster is nice. Having a use for it
> is even nicer (I encode lots of captured video from VHS to DVD-archive,
> some of the tapes I get are like, /years/ old). :)

If it were not for the large Fedora Core clusters that I regularly use, I
would have spent /years/ more attaining the same accomplishments. Some
experiments take months to run. Get the competitive advantage or perish. And
for those anonymous cowards like linux-sux at lycos there is nothing in the
world to cherish...

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Bring home the world cup, England!
  7:10am  up 59 days 12:24,  12 users,  load average: 0.14, 0.62, 1.01