Re: [News] WinFS Dies (And Yet ANOTHER Feature Conceded)

__/ [ TheLetterK ] on Saturday 24 June 2006 22:57 \__

> On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 22:29:45 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> I won't link to MSDN, so here is the blurb (or gist):
>>
>> WinFS is Dead
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | The official word from the dev team is that WinFS will no longer be
>> | developed as a relational filesystem, and all future betas are
>> | cancelled.
>> `----
>>
>>                 http://digg.com/software/WinFS_is_Dead
>>
>> WinFS was set to be an abstraction layer to NTFS, so interoperability with
>> Linux was never a pressing issue. Hard-drive encryption in Vista is
>> another matter altogther...
>
> Looks like they're going to try to merge it into SQL Server. Not terribly
> surprising, really.

Hmmm.... a filesystem that is dependent on a product or is accessible through
a separate product. Interesting, to say the least...

Hypothetically-speaking: "Here is a music player with rich playlist support.
But here's the snag: it needs an Oracle databa$e to store songs and
playlists."

As an off-topic comment, I think that some people fell into a trap set up by
E. The upgrade between two adjacent releases of GNU/Linux distributions is
being compared to releases of Windows that are 5-6 years apart. That's a
no-no analogy. Windows has not moves much since the mid-nineties. It has
only seen minor embellishments (which are resource-hungry).

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Bring home the world cup, England!
Cpu(s):  20.3% user,   3.6% system,  18.5% nice,  57.6% idle