Re: [News] WinFS Dies (And Yet ANOTHER Feature Conceded)

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 03:01:21 +0100, [H]omer wrote:

> TheLetterK wrote:

>>> Here's a genuine query for the Winvocates; no troll:
>>>
>>> Name just one compelling reason to upgrade from XP to Vista.
>>
>> I'm not an advocate, but I'll name one: DirectX 10
>
> Overhyped IMHO.
>
> Throughout various generations of both graphics hardware and DirectX,
> other than an increase in FPS, I never noticed much difference at all.

Yes, but it *will* be a requirement for new games in a year or two. For
people interested in playing them, it will be a compelling reason to
upgrade to Vista. It might not mean much to *you*, but it means a lot to
others.

> Plus, most of the games *I* play (under Cedega) don't even use DX9
> calls (natively or otherwise), so I don't see how DX10 is going to
> benefit me, even if I switched back to Windows.
>
> "Less overhead" apparently, oh and "easier to program" ... yawn.

There are a few other things, but most of it is related to the '3d
accelerated desktop' nonsense.

> I think graphics card manufacturers (er ... *both* of them) are just
> clutching at straws trying to figure out how to make people upgrade
> hardware that *really* doesn't need upgraded, ably assisted by
> Microsoft (of course) who happily oblige by bumping version numbers to
> make people believe the upgrade is necessary.

Oh hell no. There's been substantial improvement in the capabilities of
video cards over the past few years. That's one of the few areas of
computer technology that's actually gained new capabilities in recent
years.