Re: [News] Linux on the iPod nano

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Mark Kent
<mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Sat, 24 Jun 2006 00:06:25 +0100
<ho8um3-8va.ln1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> Getting To Know My Nano Again
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| I tried iPod Linux a few months ago but didn't really like it too much.
>>| So when I heard Mark Shuttleworth mention Rockbox in a recent podcast,
>>| I decided to give it a try and I must say that I am very impressed.
>> `----
>>
>> http://angelicpenguins.blogspot.com/2006/06/getting-to-know-my-nano-again.html
>
> doom on your ipod... hehe, there's a thought!

There are some games where the music is quite enjoyable --
Unreal, UT, and UT2004 sometimes fall in this category,
IMO.  Doom doesn't quite make it but tries hard.
Duke Nukem 3D could try harder music-wise, though I like
a game where the main character has a sense of humor, though
there's a few scantily-clad pics that might throw off a
few people.

(This is apart from technical arrangement limitations, BTW.)

It's worth noting that UT2004 uses .ogg files, with
slightly unusual names -- one track, for instance,
is named "KR-Slaughter.ogg"; another is named
"KR-Collision-Course.ogg".  (Three guesses what's
colliding.)  One might call this "background music",
if by "background" one means "one's giblets become part
thereof". :-)  But one probably could play them on an
iPod, if an iPod can handle .OGG files.  I don't know;
I don't have one.  I've played them using a Linux
player, probably mplayer, though.

But why not play music on one's iPod and frag adversaries
at the same time?  :-)  (As if anyone needs more of an
excuse to stand there looking a bit like an idiot as he or
she is so absorbed by the display screen/game/unit that
s/he doesn't notice anyone staring at him/her...but hey,
whatever works. :-) )

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Windows Vista.  Because it's time to refresh your hardware.  Trust us.