Re: Next Ubuntu (Edgy) to be Cutting Edge

http://trends.newsforge.com/trends/06/06/22/1524249.shtml?tid=138&tid=18&tid=2

> Yeah, they've been talking about this since before Dapper was released.
>  Like, weeks and weeks ago, Mark Shuttleworth posted on one of the
> Ubuntu sites, I think the wiki, that Dapper was a big, stable release
> that's gonna be supported for ages, so now he wants to take some risks
> with the next release... push the envelope... he was asking the Ubuntu
> developers to come up with some radical ideas, saying that he'll make
> next to no edicts "from on high".  He wants the next release to be full
> of bleeding edge tech and dazzling ideas.  He wants Edgy to be... edgy.

If Dapper continues to get upgrades after Edge is released that will keep me
happy. :-)

Lots of interesting stuff in this article. Having Xen-enabled kernels by
default sounds good. May be I will eventually migrate my windows to a Xen
virtual machine.

The SMART package manager looks really good too. I presume they are going to
drop Adept. I think a lot of us prefer to use Synaptic anyway.

I think Edge will have to be testdriven on my test box if it's going to be
bleeding edge. :-)

Should be interesting to see what it does for the fortunes of Ubuntu over
the longer term.

--
Regards,

http://za1012001.googlepages.com/home