Re: [News] Multi-headed Linux Supported by Chip Maker

begin  risky.vbs
	<1184963.v73RkrZL6b@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
	Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Graphics cards target multi-headed thin clients, support Linux
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Matrox Graphics is shipping a family of graphics cards aimed at
>| multi-headed thin clients and network computers. The EpicA series
>| dual- and quad-display graphics cards are supported by binary-only
>| Linux drivers, but source may be available to thin-client builders,
>| according to the company.  > `----

Matrox were one of the first chip makers to support Linux. When most
others ignored Linux Matrox responded to the campaign to have drivers
for their graphics cards under Linux. This goes back years to at least
the Matrox Millenium. I'm glad to see they are still supporting Linux.

As an aside, I've nothing against chip makers providing binary only
drivers for Linux. Of course I'd prefer them to provide src code or
release specs for anyone to use but I can understand their fear of
letting rival chip makers having a glimpse of the inner workings of
their HW.