Re: [News] Lost Leadership at Microsoft

__/ [ Roy Culley ] on Wednesday 21 June 2006 13:42 \__

> begin  risky.vbs
> <23505151.xZe85hRIue@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>> Too many chefs in Microsoft's kitchen?
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| "With Bill transferring out of that technical strategist role, how
>>| do these things get done?" said Rob Horwitz, CEO of analyst firm
>>| Directions on Microsoft.
>>|
>>| By his nature and because of who he is, Gates has been the ultimate
>>| arbiter for technical debates at Microsoft. "When major product
>>| groups can't figure it out and can't agree on something, he is the
>>| ninth vote on the Supreme Court, and that is going to go away,"
>>| Horwitz said.
>
> Well if past history is anything to go by the sooner he goes the
> better for MS. MS are where they are not due to technical excellence.
> They are there because of exploiting their monopoly position and using
> unethical means to crush any opposition. Gates is clearly a master at
> this.
>
> Times have changed and technical competence, far less excellence, is
> what is required. MS SW is lacking. They have completely ignored SW
> quality and instead concentrated on getting as much cash from their
> users as possible. The results of this are clear for everyone to see.
> Windows is an utter mess. It is insecure by design. It suffers from a
> thing Gates calls bitrot. Over 5% of Windows systems crash at least
> twice a day according to Gates.
>
> Vista is clearly in serious trouble. Gates going will not be enough to
> save MS. Its about time they brought in competent management and got
> rid of the crud. Even if they do this it will be too little too late
> IMO.

Well, as Styeve Ballmer said to UK managers, one needs to double the initial
estimates of people who ought to be sacked. Fortunately for Ballmer, people
are sacking themselves, which saves him the trouble. Another key man (Hase)
has just departed from that sinking ship. If I were an MS developer, I would
begin to panic.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: sheep outnumber people in NZ
Tasks: 186 total,   2 running, 176 sleeping,   0 stopped,   8 zombie