Re: Adobe: Obnoxiousus Installationus

  • Subject: Re: Adobe: Obnoxiousus Installationus
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 11:03:04 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ BearItAll ] on Wednesday 21 June 2006 10:47 \__

> John Bailo wrote:
>

>> Ok, so I clicked on a link in Firefox/XP and this dialog pops up about
>> do I want to install Acrobat 7.0 and I clicked "ok" as in, "yeah, sure,
>> go ahead" but I wanted to keep working.
>>
>> Possible?
>>
>> Nope -- the dialogs kept popping into the foreground.  Downloading.
>> Ready to install...all the while I was trying to write something this
>> stupid install kept telling me it's whole life history!
>>
>> And then, the final insult.   It wanted to reboot?!?!
>>
>> REBOOT?
>>
>> For a document reader?
>>
>> What kind of crazy insano OS is XP ?!?!
>
> I agree with you there, a naff installer and because I wasn't used to this
> sort of thing in linux I didn't spot the toolbar bit that Roy mentioned. It
> so happens I did have a toolbar, then I had two. Carry on like this and
> they wont be room for the pages we browse.

This applies to Windows only, I suspect (I am not sure about Mac OS). This
didn't happen to me under Linux and I am assuming that you refer to your
experience with Linux in the paragraph above. If you follow the link I
provided, you'll see that I pointed this out in another NG.

As for toobar 'real estate', some toolbars can be fitted nicely, shrunk down,
folded/unfolded, or even be invoked upon some key presses.

> I can't remember it asking for a reboot, there isn't a reason why anything
> other than a kernel or kernel modules change would need one. Though it
> would probably need the browser restarted.

Yes, definitely. Firfox also requires that enabling of extensions will have
it restarted. But I don't have (much) experience with 1.5, let alone the 2.0
testing builds, so maybe this has changed/will change.

> Then after it is onboard, could you see or feel any difference other than a
> splash screen? Seemed the same to me.

Not in Linux. I was used to (uglier version of) version 5.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | FreeBSD - sidling with a little devil
Tasks: 170 total,   1 running, 161 sleeping,   0 stopped,   8 zombie