Re: What exactly is an "authority site" and how do you recognise one?

  • Subject: Re: What exactly is an "authority site" and how do you recognise one?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 16:05:34 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
__/ [ Big Bill ] on Wednesday 01 March 2006 15:18 \__

> On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 14:19:41 GMT, xyZed <xyzed@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>I've heard the phrase a few times, is there an accepted definition of
>>whether a site is an authority site or not, or  is it mostly
>>subjective?
>
> Authority sites might mean government sites, military sites, education
> sites, like university sites, or trade association sites, or just even
> a site on Star Trek that was long-established and had a billion
> inbound links from other established Star Trek sites, f'rinstance.

Good  answer. Authority sites can also be based on graph analysis and sub-
sequent  classification.  If  you draw the links between one site  to  its
neighbourhood,  it  often looks like a big pool with  linear  connections.
It's  down  to some graph analysis. An authority site looks like a  spider
that  many neighbours (nodes/sites) are connected to, but does not  neces-
sarily contribute back (links). Such sites are admired, but do not rely on
mutuality, e.g. blogrolls and link exchanges.

I  think  IBM did some research on one's ability to tell  apart  authority
sites,  which  are worth identifying for many reasons. They  conceded  the
race against Google, MSN and Yahoo several years ago, I suspect.

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz
  4:00pm  up  11:38,  5 users,  load average: 1.00, 0.89, 0.80