Re: Ellison: OSS Needs Big Vendor to Thrive

__/ [ Sinister Midget ] on Saturday 04 March 2006 14:06 \__

> On 2006-03-03, Roy Culley <rgc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> posted something concerning:
>> begin  risky.vbs
>> <du9pst$1f5e$2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>>> __/ [ Liam Slider ] on Friday 03 March 2006 14:35 \__

>>> Among his latest acquisitions of Open Source companies, he also
>>> tried to grab MySQL. The last time I heard, Intel and IBM did not
>>> initiative MySQL. Mind you (or him rather), MySQL was shown to be
>>> better than databases from IBM, Microsoft and Oracle in a recent
>>> benchmark.
>>
>> Now you've done. mlw will start his anti-mysql rants again. :-(
>
> That's exactly what I thought as soon as I saw it. Fortunately, I don't
> see mlw's rants (too many, too ill-advised, too often) any more except,
> unfortunately, by proxy (too many, too ill-advised, too often).

I have gone through such rants before, often rants in defence of PostgreSQL
which is growing steadily and is finally offered by my Web host. I
continously hear that PostgreSQL has some performance advantages. As to
commercial equivalents and counterparts, well... as I maintain a dozen
databases, I know how expensive an analogous package would be under Windows
offerings. The whole architecture needs to accommodate savings and blows up
in one's face. The gain: what gain? If mlw beckons a rant, I'll say
(politely): "bring it on".

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Windows XP: Dude, where's my RAM?
  2:40pm  up 3 days 10:18,  13 users,  load average: 0.59, 0.89, 1.08