Re: harvesting addresses from kmail folders

  • Subject: Re: harvesting addresses from kmail folders
  • From: alexd <look@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2006 12:42:24 GMT
  • Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> __/ [ Whiskers ] on Sunday 05 March 2006 00:01 \__

>> I expect a more 'refined' method could be devised, but grep is the basic
>> tool.  See man grep  ;))
>
> The task at hand makes it appear like liasing with a spammer would a good
> idea. You would not realible extract addresses based on the "@" symbol,
> nor would you be able to pull addresses reliably based on regex with
> "From:".

The key difference between me and a spammer is that I can see by looking at
the email address whether it's wheat or chaff.

> You are still left with some issues like non-RFC-compliant messages.

Well if they don't have the common courtesy to comply with RFCs, they don't
get into the contact book ;-)

> I'd imagine that the best use of time would involve echoing or
> concatenating all lines that contain "From: ", then remove duplicate lines
> and manually copy them to KMail. If you add some commas in accordance with
> the CSV conventions (if any exist), then you should be able to import as
> CSV. I think you get to assign the column names (thus meaning) when
> importing file that are CSV or TSV. You could use KSpread to help you with
> that.

Thanks for the CSV tip. I nearly ended up spending the entire day doing
something perl-y with .vcf files :-S

--
 <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) (gebssnfxl@xxxxxxxxxxx)
 12:36:11 up 38 days, 16:55,  4 users,  load average: 0.06, 0.13, 0.27