Re: External USB Hard-Drive on Linux

>http://www.thelinuxpimp.com/main/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=561
>
>It is almost 2 years old, so I assume/hope distributions and kernel have
>progressed. The issue of partitioning and/or formatting did not escape my
>mind, but I just hope that editing /etc/fstab is not a part of the deal.
>I'll give it a go and visit the local Maplins in a couple of hours. I just
>hope they stock these.

Editing /etc/fstab is not part of the deal for Mandriva 2006, for
example. It uses udev and hal for autodetecting and automounting
external drives, and does so quite reliably. Previous versions of
Mandriva that used devfs instead of udev tended to be hit and miss.
Dunno how SUSE compares - you might benefit from the latest version for
the same reason.

--
Dave Farrance