Re: External USB Hard-Drive on Linux

__/ [ Roy Schestowitz ] on Wednesday 08 March 2006 09:33 \__

> __/ [ Geoffrey Clements ] on Wednesday 08 March 2006 08:57 \__
>
>> "Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>> __/ [ Dave {Reply Address in.Sig} ] on Wednesday 08 March 2006 06:50 \__

>> Hello Roy, I don't know anything about SUSE but I've seen your posts over
>> on
>> comp.windows.x.kde so I assume you're a kde user.  I use kde 3.4.x and
>> have no trouble with removable media which looks like a hard drive however
>> you need the following:
>> 1. A recent kernel, 2.6.11 seems to be the oldest you can use.
>> 2. hal needs to be installed and hald running.
>> 3. dbus installed and running.
>> 4. pmount installed if you want normal users to mount the drive by
>> clicking on its desktop icon.
>> 5. ivman installed and setup if you automounting.
>>
>> I have 1 to 4 above and never need to touch /etc/fstab.  I'm no expert on
>> this but I hope it's useful to you.
>>

> Thanks, Geoff (and others). I have just returned with a 300GB beast. I told
> the to salesman it's for a Linux box and he replied "it should be fine".
> Let's see how it goes...

Slap me dead! I was up for a challenge, but the bloody drive just showed up
under "Computer" as soon as I had plugged it in. Filesystem and all: no
problem!

Many thanks guys! I hope this thread will help guide more troubled users
(esp. the detailed breakdown above) or at least convince some people that
Linux is frustratingly intuitive (/C.O.L.A./ impact, I suspect).

Best wishes and many thanks,