Re: When Security Patches Go Wrong

On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 13:35:28 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> __/ [ Brad ] on Thursday 09 March 2006 13:02 \__
>
>> On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 07:44:17 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6047762.html
>>>
>>> This is not the first time this happens.
>>
>> I doubt it will be the last. Just more reason for me to Luv Tux.
>>
>> Brad
>
> Don't  get  me wrong, but a SuSE/YaST update failed me once. When  I  men-
> tioned this in the SuSE newsgroup, others were somewhat stunned because it
> had never happened to anyone else.

I have had it once, & IIRC it was back when using SuSE 7.0 On the first
update of 7.0, YOU connected to suse's server but one
application hung for *ages*, the thing just froze IIRC. So I had to kill
YOU [Ctrl+Alt+Esc]. After that when YOU tried to connected to suse's
server for updates, it suddenly closed without any error message(s).  A
check in /var/lib/YaST/patches/i386/update/7.0 revealed stale files. A
name change to /var/lib/YaST/patches/i386/update/7.0-old soon corrected
it.  It didn't do it an any subsequent updates IIRC. But I have to say
that's the only problem I've had with YaST in the 10 years of using SuSE.  :-)

--
SuSE 10.1 OSS Beta3 (Agama Lizard)