Re: More tales of a system twonk

__/ [ Larry Qualig ] on Saturday 11 March 2006 04:05 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> __/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Friday 10 March 2006 23:00 \__
>>
> < large snip >
>
>> Backing up, where appropriate, is an automatic process, so the owner can
>> go play some favourite sports, while the other, less fortunate people
>> stare at a GUI, inserting and ejecting CD's, or paying large sums of money
>> to professionals with Knoppix.
>>
>> Speaking of the need to back up, this machine that I currently use has
>> been up and running uninterruptedly for two and a half years. From the
>> point of view of the O/s alone, it is less prone to breakage than its
>> counterparts, which I used in the past.
>

> I've been very happy with my backup plan as of late. My Win2000 server
> (recently upgraded to 2003) has had an Adaptec Sata RAID-1 config for a
> few years now. This works fine for 'drive failure' cases but doesn't
> help protect against data loss. If something goes terribly wrong both
> mirrored drives will get borked.
>
> Now that I have "Ubu" on-line with ample disk space to spare my problem
> is solved. The Win2003 server has a job scheduled to automatically
> backup itself onto Ubu. This happens every Monday morning at 4:30 AM.
> (The house is usually pretty quiet around then.) The day before at 4:30
> AM Ubu makes a backup copy of itself and drops it off on Bubba (the
> Windows server).
>
> So between the RAID-1 arrays and having each server use the other one
> as backup I should be pretty well covered. Which of course means that
> since I'm prepared for a data disaster one won't happen but that's okay
> with me.

For what it's worth, here is my super-complicated backup 'package'.

On the receiving end:

mkdir /home/roy/BU/Filestore/<machine_name>/Backup-`date +%Y-%m-%d`

On the sending end:

nice scp -r ~/.[0-z]* ~/*
roy@<destination_address>:/home/roy/BU/Filestore/<machine_name>/Backup-`date
+%Y-%m-%d`

This keeps a _stack_ of backups, just in case of data loss (e.g. user erases
a file by accident only to realise it months later).

I haven't set up trusted keys, so I need only type in my password. That's
just a few keystokes, so level of intervention is low. Data in its entirety
is mirrored onto 4 hard-drives in 3 separate sites. Server backups provide
overseas backup of more important files, in case of nuclear mishaps. *smile*
I began to use my computers as a backup repository for my family. If you
think it's not affordable, see my latest post. A complete box (excluding
unneeded monitor) go for under GBP 100! My external hard-drive alone was
more expensive than that. 50% more expensive.