Re: Symantec Deliver a Bombshell About Windows

  • Subject: Re: Symantec Deliver a Bombshell About Windows
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 03:55:06 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Friday 10 March 2006 20:00 \__

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, NoStop
> <nostop@xxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Fri, 10 Mar 2006 09:35:15 -0800
> <dusddp21k5u@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> On Friday 10 March 2006 08:42 am, Roy Schestowitz had this to say in
>> comp.os.linux.advocacy:
>>
>>> A new study seems to concur with the famous Schneier article:
>>>
>>> http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2005/01/linux_security.html
>>>
>>> The following was published yesterday, as part of Symantec's study:
>>>
>>> ,----[ Snipptets ]

>>> `----
>>>
>> What a bunch of bullshit. I've not seen an unpatched Windows last longer
>> than 10 minutes without being compromised. Then again the author could be
>> using dialup. :-)
>
> The new XP firewall helps a little.  A published test suggests it
> might survive a week. :-)  (I'd have to look.)

Such  studies *completely* shatter arguments that Windows servers, as  op-
posed  to Windows desktops, are rather steady and reliable. It was only  a
fortnight  ago that one of our (as in 'their') Windows servers got whacked
by  a  virus, which in turn borked the AV software and brought mail  to  a
halt, department-wide.

Then  comes  the issue of stability. The SAN server was recently  recently
replaced  by  Linux, after many years of sporadic downtimes. The  Exchange
server  has been extremely flaky for ever a year. Even buying a new one as
a  replacement didn't help. It was suffering from bugs, too. Whenever  one
hears  about  the Windows servers, it's in the context of trouble. I  will
not even refer to a formidable factor which is /cost/.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "How do I set my laser printer on stun?"
  3:45am  up 2 days 20:22,  7 users,  load average: 0.39, 0.46, 0.42