Re: Low-latency audio on Linux

__/ [ OK ] on Saturday 11 March 2006 09:46 \__

http://blogs.msdn.com/larryosterman/archive/2005/09/19/471346.aspx

,----[ Quote ]
| Over the years, we've realized that there three major problem areas with
| the existing audio infrastructure:
|
|    1. The amount of code that runs in the kernel (coupled with buggy device
| drivers) causes the audio stack to be one of the leading causes of Windows
| reliability problems.
|
|    2. It's also become clear that while the audio quality in Windows is
| just fine for normal users, pro-audio enthusiasts are less than happy with
| the native audio infrastructure.  We've made a bunch of changes to the
| infrastructure to support pro-audio apps, but those were mostly focused
| around providing mechanisms for those apps to bypass the audio
| infrastructure.
|
|    3. We've also come to realize that the tools for troubleshooting audio
| problems aren't the greatest - it's just too hard to figure out what's
| going on, and the UI (much of which comes from Windows 3.1) is flat-out
| too old to be useful.
`----

I will not post any more follow-ups, so take silence to be no indication of a
loss. I just needed to have your arguments muted.

A friend of mine who produces music had me install Linux for him a few months
ago. He never saw anything other then Windows. One of the things he said to
me was that Linux gave him better tools for sound. Third-party, commercial
enhancements are a completely separate matter. They have a cost, too.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Real E-mail -> Harvest -> Fraud -> Spammers profit
 10:00am  up 3 days  2:37,  7 users,  load average: 0.27, 0.35, 0.35