Re: Site maps

__/ [ Mr. Polzek ] on Sunday 12 March 2006 13:17 \__

> Hi,
>
> I would like to know the difference between google sitemap and sitemaps
> that reside on larger websites and illustrate their structure. By 'not
> google sitmeap' I mean something like this:
> http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Site-Map
>
> How about placing a sitemap (not google one), on one of the pages, to show
> visitors where all the stuff is. Is there any link beetween those different
> site maps? Do they interfere in any way?
>
> If I placed a sitemap, could I get rid of sitemap.xml from google?
>
> I have already included google sitemap as a file 'sitemap.xml', which I
> verified with google. Is that mean only that the site is easier to browse
> for google robots?
>
> Could anyone explain the difference?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Paul

Site maps that are HTML-based will rarely be uniform or standardised, so they
can be difficult to parse and then handle. XML is a more convenient way of
handling a particular set of data. It can also be quicker and easily
extensible.

Like you, I am worried about the fact that site maps only accommodate one
company, which leaves the competition, as well as human visitors somewhat
neglected. I you are interested, I wrote about it when it was a rather new
concept ( http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/07/31/rss-sitemaps/ ).

Best wishes,