Re: Kubuntu Dapper Drake flight5 released

__/ [ GreyCloud ] on Sunday 12 March 2006 18:22 \__

> Larry Qualig wrote:
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>>__/ [ Lobo ] on Sunday 12 March 2006 06:20 \__

>>>For  those  who love eye candy, Dapper features an easily-installable  XGL
>>>package. Why bother mentioning this? Everyone knows that UNIX variants are
>>>powerful  working  tools, but 'wrapping' has probably been a  drawback  to
>>>many  (marketing aside). XGL beats the hell out of Tiger and Vista,  which
>>>let us face it, have got some catching up to do. It is ironic that visuals
>>>make  the most conspicuous selling point whilst popular applications  like
>>>Firefox are known to have Open Source roots.
>>>
>>>Ubuntu  was noted best distribution of the year. I see many who migrate to
>>>the  Ubuntu 'family' of distribution, so this release is a major milestone
>>>that  will have great impact. Version 7 of Ubuntu is due around September,
>>>which still predates the release of Windows Vista. OSX is fairly idle,  as
>>>it has been for several years.
>>>
>>>My two cents
>>

>> --> "XGL beats the hell out of Tiger and Vista,  which
>> --> let us face it, have got some catching up to do."
>>

>> I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on Vista but how exactly is
>> Tiger (OSX) losing to XGL and how it is possibly catching up with
>> something that has yet to be released? Apple OSX has the slickest most
>> polished user interface available today - bar none. I have yet to see
>> much in XGL other than wobbling menus and transparent windows.

Tiger is the slickest?

http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=28612

That's the rusty KDE 3.2. It comes to show you how flexible KDE truly is (as
is GNOME). *smile*

> What is also interesting is that user switching on OS X has been the
> rotating cube to another user account.  That's been there for over two
> years now.  The genie effect and page flipping is there, but I don't see
> it as a real need.  I suppose that glitz helps to sell the product.

Exactly. I saw the flipping cube as slide transition mode in a presentation a
colleague gave on an iBook. It was almost 2 years ago. Very impressive, but
offers no gain. I concur with both of you on that one, but if it helps sell
a product (which was the point I earlier made), it cannot be ignored.

> What I wished that Apple had done was to improve the rest of the C
> headers like they did when they added the altivec libs and headers.
> When I downloaded the Intel compilers for the old IBM, I noticed that
> Intel shares or borrows most of the necessary headers from the Gnu
> project.  Then Intel added the improved headers in their own include
> directory that took care of a few problems.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Disclaimer: no SCO code used to generate this post
  6:45pm  up 4 days 11:22,  9 users,  load average: 1.01, 0.34, 0.18