Re: Linux brings hope to Spain's poorest region

Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in

> __/ [ x0054 ] on Sunday 12 March 2006 09:06 \__

<cut>

>> OCR - after that I can be totally happy :) That's all. And Photoshop
>> runs grate under wine.
>
> It's already worked on. 15 developers are involved.
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/jocr
>
> Also see:
>
> http://software.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=05/12/15/1848236&from=rss
>
> I used Photoshop for many years as a teenager. I have been using the
> GIMP very happily for 4 years. Learn it thoroughly and you will see
> that Photoshop becomes obsolete.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Roy

I like GIMP, but Photoshop does not become obsolete, but GIMP is
catching up quite well. I use GIMP quite a bit, just hate the interface,
other then that it's perfect for me.

As far as OCR there really isn't a good OCR software for linux at this
point. I research it quite well, for a project for a friend, and the
only production quality option available at the moment is ViviData, but
it is ungodly expensive. JOCR isn't even close to production quality. I
have tried others as well, no luck. But that's should soon be corrected
because ScanSoft is working on a Linux copy of Omnipage, which is by far
the best OCR software on the market right now. So I shell be totally
happy soon :) Well, I'll also need a TTS client, don't like festivals
TTS. But SAPI5 from M$ sucks just the same.

BTW, another reason why M$ sucks. SAPI4 was written by a contractor,
L&H, for M$ and sounds perfect, SAPI5 was rewritten by M$ from ground up
and sounds horrible! Ignore the last bit if you are not a TTS geek.

 - Bogdan