Re: Statistics for comp.os.linux.advocacy, 13 Mar 2006

__/ [ Malware Magnet ] on Monday 13 March 2006 15:19 \__

> On 2006-03-13, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> __/ [ stats.cola@xxxxxxxxx ] on Monday 13 March 2006 04:01 \__
>>

>> [...]
>>> Toplist of writers
>>>
>>> Place Name                                               Msgs    Bytes
>>> Quoted
>>>    1. Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>        205   323186
>>>    61.5%
>>

>> I would like to thank Bill Gates III for making an operating system
>> terrbible enough to arouse and awaken so much stimulating discussion.
>>

>> [...]
>>
>>>    1. slrn                                  611
>>>    2. KNode                                 596
>>

>> The progressive demise of the command line?
>
> That would be a calamity - especially considering all the *nix systems we
> manage remotely using SSH.
>
> Two other engineers and I run our workstations with no GUI, until the need
> arises - such as configuring a Barracuda SPAM firewall or other Web-based
> GUI - then we fire up whichever desktop we prefer. I still use Fluxbox.
>
> My laptop is a different story. I use it to prepare presentations,
> drawings, streaming media, etc, so it runs KDE on SUSE; which is why some
> of my posts are sent using Knode. I'll be sure to use slrn exclusively
> heretofore!
>
> Save the command line!
> :-)

The command line is great and remains highly essential. Please don't get me
wrong. I truly feel, however, that for quick composition of posts,
on-the-fly spellchecking, citation collection (e.g. from browser in other
virtual desktop), as well as effective reading, the GUI offers more power.

The command line is here to stay. Not only that, but an operating system
which lacks it needed to have one implemented (no, DOS is not CLI, it's a
child's broken toy).

Best wishes,