Re: Kubuntu Dapper Drake flight5 released

__/ [ Larry Qualig ] on Monday 13 March 2006 17:30 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>> What they will not tell you is that silly Ubuntu programmers
>> /accidentally/ left a back door for root access. The first account to have
>> been created had a password stored in plain text in one of the log files.
>> Essentially, it is possibly that standard users on a particular machine
>> could snatch the root password. It is *NOT* a Linux issue, but
>> incompetence of just one team, which exposes the machine to its privileged
>> users.
>>
>> Mind you, Windows administrator access is easier to break. All you need to
>> do is boot from a floppy.
>

> The security of any system(*1) relies on physical security. You can
> walk up to any machine and boot a floppy or live CD that contains a
> Linux distro or Norton Utilities and access any files you want on that
> machine.
>

> *1 - Exception being machines with encrypted file systems or files that
> were encrypted with PGP, etc.

Yes, see my post which was sent in reply to Ray's message. I had sent it
before reading your answer, a mere minute ago.

Best wishes, Larry.

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Did anyone see my lost carrier?"
  6:30pm  up 5 days 11:07,  7 users,  load average: 1.35, 0.90, 0.43