Re: Will the next version of Suse include XGL?

  • Subject: Re: Will the next version of Suse include XGL?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 19:57:50 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
__/ [ houghi ] on Tuesday 14 March 2006 17:15 \__

> Kaoru Saotome wrote:
>>
>> Today I ran over information how to add the new 3D desktop XGL to
>> Suse. When it will be available as a part of the distribution?
>
> It will be available as part of the distribution when it is ready to be
> made available.

I think it will be available in the business-oriented and targetted edition,
which was said to be released this summer (they renamed the product last
week). The CeBit exhibits seem to suggest so. Novell unveiled the latest
product yesterday and boasted XGL, which has a few pragmatic uses that
increase efficiency.

As for SuSE 10.1, it will not include XGL as far as I know, but you could
install it yourself. Installation will become easier and less prone to
errors in due time. OpenGL support is still an important factor as to many
people whom I speak to XGL makes the UI less than responsive. When that is
the case, XGL becomes nothing more than a temporary toy to a 4-year-old
child.

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz
  7:50pm  up 6 days 12:27,  8 users,  load average: 0.50, 0.87, 0.68