Re: Dang. How long has McDar been under construction ?

__/ [ Jez ] on Tuesday 14 March 2006 20:50 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> __/ [ Paul B ] on Tuesday 14 March 2006 20:10 \__
>>

>>>I had an internal page bookmoarked, which is no longer present.
>>>Went to home page, just to be presented with this :
>>>
>>>Under Construction
>>>

>>>The site you are trying to view does not currently have a default
>>>page. It may be in the process of being upgraded and configured.
>>>
>>>Please try this site again later. If you still experience the problem,
>>>try contacting the Web site administrator.
>>>

>>>Bloody marvelous.
>>

>> That site gets a tonage of traffic[*] and was very slow (if not
>> unavailable) at times. They must be upgrading the server or migrating. The
>> site uses IIS which, let us face it, is known to be worse than Apache and
>> LiteSpeed in terms of capacity. *smile*
>>
>> The last time a successful site I use went down, it come back bigger,
>> stronger and more furious (well, are we talking about sites still?).
>>
>>         http://www.sxc.hu/browse.phtml
>>
>> Still hugely popular for royalty-free, shareable stocks.
>>
>> [*] Judging by Netscraft and Alexa
>>

> What really surprises me is that mcdar.net is still only PR4. I would
> have thought it would be getting a ton of links per day the amount of
> people that use it and mentions it gets in forums (and here) etc.
>
> Jez.

PageRank depends on many factors including the number of pages. One could
condense (or "compress") PageRank, if intended.

Some of the busiest sites on the Web have got a PageRank of 4 or lower,
especially if they are foreign or requires logging in. Mcdar only
demonstrates how meaningless and misleading PageRank can be. I have come
across PageRank 8 pages that get just a few visits, if any. Academic
one-pager + publications is a classic.