Re: Linux gains scalable open source IPC software

__/ [ Roy Culley ] on Wednesday 15 March 2006 00:58 \__

>     Number two telecom OS provider Enea will release its direct,
>     asynchronous message-passing software for distributed systems
>     under an open source license in June. Described as the
>     "cornerstone" of Enea's telecom RTOSes, the "Linx" IPC
>     (inter-process communications) software scales better than other
>     freely available IPC technologies, such as TIPC (transparent IPC)
>     and Unix sockets, Enea claims.
>
>     Enea describes Linx as "transparent," meaning that software
>     processes distributed across various interconnected, heterogeneous
>     systems can communicate as if they were running on the same
>     processor. Such transparency simplifies application development,
>     the company says, and allows scalability through hardware
>     additions, without requiring application code changes.

Applications  in  Linux  (as well as porting) is one area that  I  abstain
posting  to the newsroup about, yet it's nice to see change. It's  usually
right  before my eyes, but there is something boring about it, which would
not promote discussion.

There  are  many vendors whom I read about, whose products are  made  Open
Source.  I think it touches the aspect of advocacy slightly less than more
bureaucratic  items.  However, no doubt there are Open Source  equivalents
for merely anything. Where gaps exist, they soon get filled because indus-
try see potential in early penetration.

Routers  and  VoIP are some of the latest items to be seeing  Open  Source
abundance. Imagine a world where all communication is Open (inter- and in-
tra-application).