Re: A Computer for Africa

__/ [ B Gruff ] on Wednesday 15 March 2006 18:56 \__

> Take a look at this guys?
>
> http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?src=rss&id=921
>
> No doubt will cost more than the hand-cranked version, but it looks to me
> like a "real" PC, running off less than 10W, which means it can be powered
> by a small(-ish) solar array.
> Dust-proofed, no moving parts.
> (Linux, of course!)

With such a nifty flat screen (I can see KDE), could they only afford
peripherals that have not been pulled out of some film from the 70's? Quite
frankly, the $100 laptop seems to bear much more potential and could be sold
in numbers that verge half a billion within a couple of years. I, for one,
would love to see it come true. *smile*