Re: What's with all these "fake" search engines

  • Subject: Re: What's with all these "fake" search engines
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 04:37:25 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
__/ [ canadafred ] on Thursday 16 March 2006 00:20 \__

> <Gymdandy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>
>>I just started to  build a personal website and I was trying to get a
>> domain name.
>>
>> So I was looking and virtually all the names I wanted were registered.
>> Of these only about 5 were parked.
>>
>> The rest came up as webpages that were "search engines"
>>
>> I am assuming these are "parked" pages that try to get you to use their
>> search engine as they will only feed you results they want
>>
>> Is it a  pay per click schene or what?
>>
>> Just wondering what is up with that?
>
> These are traffic generating ploys. Happened to me once, I lost a real nice
> domain and it became a second class directory. Yep, these are usually PPC
> schemes. The owner of the domain is paid for clicks he can generate to the
> web site. It doesn't seem to work very well because the selection of web
> sites is usually limited, however, it can be made to look very legit.
>
> Seems like they are used as an alternative to holding, in the possibility
> that a few cents can be made, rather than building something legit.
>
> Have a look at the one I lost 5 years ago www.atlantic-canada-business.com
> . This was once a very thriving regional search engine that I created, now,
> well, it's one of those things that you were describing. Sad because it has
> so much potential. Now, whoever has it can't even spell Newfoundland
> properly and probably doesn't care either.

This must be a variation of these 'directories', which act as placeholders
to  feed the Web host with links and pull some income from sites that  are
included.

Some errand visitors will get confused and be (mis)led into believing that
an  actual site was reached. Frankly, I would prefer it if all such  pages
were  forced (preferably by law) to display a message like "This domain is
parked" and contain no links. It would make the Web look like a more ethi-
cal  and organised place. It's already a mess for a whole plethora of rea-
sons.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz
  4:30am  up 7 days 21:07,  7 users,  load average: 0.69, 0.73, 0.53