Re: System upgrades

__/ [ JEDIDIAH ] on Wednesday 15 March 2006 19:28 \__

> On 2006-03-15, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> __/ [ Sandman ] on Wednesday 15 March 2006 18:37 \__
>>
>>> In article <dv9mb5$2f7g$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>>>  Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [deletia]
>>> Indeed. I've done four Debian installs in two weeks now, and they've
>>> all went problem free. You downlaod the net install CD, pop it in, it
>>> asks for network information and what kind of system you want (these
>>> are servers, so nothing more than 'base system' for me) and five
>>> minutes later it has booted into a working OS, after which the only
>>> thing I had to apt-get was curl and screen (and a new kernel image).
>>>
>>> Smooth and pain free. Of course, the Debian text-based installation
>>> procedure isn't very sexy. :)
>>
>> While it works for you and me, it repels the user who is accustomed to
>> Control Panel -> Add/Remove software. Familiarity is often a crucial bit;
>> whether it is an optimal route or not is virtually irrelevant.
>>
>> I know Linux users who 'attempt' to have friends, colleagues and family
>> hop onto Linux by raving with some command-line vanity. Rather than
>> encourage adoption, they promote negative stereotypes (sometimes
>> intentionally so).
>
> Idiot.
>
> The flip side of that is that I can support any of my family
> and friends anywhere in the world with nothing more than a 2400bps
> serial connection.
>
> [deletia]
>
> The most shiny and happy tool in the world can still spit
> out information that scares the novice or simply isn't what was
> desired. The shiny happiness is fine, but the kicker is the fact
> that I can still help people out of their jams directly even if
> I happen to be on the other side of the planet.

I do the same things, but you are missing the point that command line
interfaces do not sell computers. To most users they are daunting, so they
are better left out of sight.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Vista: as the reputation of "Longhorn" was mucked
  5:35am  up 7 days 22:12,  7 users,  load average: 0.79, 0.70, 0.69