Re: System upgrades

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 05:44:42 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> __/ [ unionpenny@xxxxxxxxx ] on Wednesday 15 March 2006 21:34 \__
>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>> __/ [ Peter Köhlmann ] on Wednesday 15 March 2006 17:42 \__
>>
>>    [...]
>>
>>> I love the way YaST handles updates. I have not used other package
>>> management systems quite as much, but I wish everyone was shown a
>>> demonstration of how compressive Linux updates can be.
>>
>> After a year of Gentoo Linux at home, Fedora at work, I tried out Suse.
>>  I never got the knack for configuring YaST repositories.  I found some
>> good pages for Fedora and yum through Google so I went that route on my
>> second home computer.
>>
>> Can you post a web page with good pointers on how to configure YaST?
>>
>> I would be most greatful.
>
> I hope somebody else can provide a link because I have never looked into
> YaST in depth. I just happen to know it as a user on two workstations.
> Every now and then the user can run a system update, which is rather
> autonomous. It can also be made automatic, which is a valuable feature if
> you run a server and want it to be left untouched for years. I can't
> remember which option needs to be enabled, but I believe you need to have
> YOU (YaST Online Update) active (in the panel) and set it to install
> updates without prompting the user.
>
> You only need to select a repository location (FTP), from which to pull
> the updates.
>
> Sorry I couldn't help further...

I didn't see the OP for some reason, so please excuse teh piggyback! ;-)

It depends what you want to do in YaST2, as to how you configure it.

If you just want it to download & install updates, then apart from
changing to the mirror nearest to you, you can leave it alone.

To update packages, well in general SuSE doesn't provide update packages
with newer versions in the official update tree. However some SuSE
developers build new versions and put them in here:
ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/supplementary/
But read this first:
ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/supplementary/README.txt

To add that to your YaST source:
Open SusE > Change Source of Installation. Click "Add.." & depending on
the URL select either ftp or http.

In the dialog box under "server name" type it's name *without* the
“http://”; or “ftp://”; part at the start. Then under "directory on
server” type the rest of the URL. For e.g, assuming you want to update
some packages in SuSE 10.0 & you're using the KDE desktop:

Server Name:
ftp.suse.com
Directory on server
pub/suse/i386/supplementary/KDE/update_for_10.0/yast-source/

Click "OK" & then "Finish".

Open the "Install and Remove Software" section in YaST, & you will be able
to search for packages & install them. To update KDE or GNOME desktops,
select "Selections" from the dropdown box & in the left hand pane,
highlight the selection you want updating, for eg: "All of KDE". then in
the menu select "Package" > All in this list > Update if newer version
available.  It is *important* that you ONLY use "Update if newer version
available."  In the right hand column you will see applications for which
there are newer versions, turn blue with a small 'z'. When you've finished
slecting the sections you want updating, click "Accept". YaST should then
update your desktop. When it's done, simply log out of KDE or GNOME
& back in again.

This is assuming you're using 32bit SuSE, if you want 64bit:-
ftp.suse.com
pub/suse/x86_64/supplementary/KDE/update_for_10.0/yast-source/

If you want to update GNOME to a newer version, in the "Change
source of installation" for GNOME:-
Server name
ftp.gwdg.de
Directory on server
pub/linux/suse/ftp.suse.com/suse/i386/supplementary/GNOME/update_for_10.0/yast-source/

As a footnote, there is a faster way of adding repositories to YaST via
the console as root, but for newbies this is the easiest way IMHO.

Other repositories I've added to YaST. These are community repositories:-

ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/suser-guru/rpm/10.0/

http://packman.inode.at/suse/10.0/

ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/suse/ftp.suse.com/projects/mozilla/10.0

http://suse.mirrors.tds.net/pub/opensuse/distribution/SL-10.0-OSS/inst-source-java/

HTH :-)

--
SuSE 10.1 OSS Beta3 (Agama Lizard)