Re: System upgrades

__/ [ cloakable ] on Friday 17 March 2006 12:08 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Windows  goes by the assumption (as well as idealogy) that it should be  a
>> stripped-down, lightweight O/S that updates its narrow trunk every now and
>> then.
>
> AHAHAHAHA! "lightweight Windows". You win the oxymoron of the year award!

I know, I know (I also spotted my typo in "ideaology"). But allow me to say
this: imagine a Windows that comes pre-loaded with an office suite, a proper
browser, development tools, and more. The thing would have a super-bloated
Registry to begin with. I imagine that Windows remains narrow due to its
greedy behaviour, which doesn't facilitate proper use of available capacity.

Windows Vista, when upgraded, offers slightly more. It doesn't offer many
applications, but it boasts that bloat, which is mainly visual. Think of it
as Windows XP with some added software, provided that you pay for Ultimate
Edition. Vista will fail to run on many of today's workstations.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | HTML is for page layout, not for textual messages
 12:30pm  up 9 days  5:07,  7 users,  load average: 0.28, 0.41, 0.51