Re: COLA posting made it to video program

__/ [ Ramon F Herrera ] on Saturday 18 March 2006 10:31 \__

http://news.com.com/Gates+mocks+MITs+100+laptop+effort/2100-1044_3-6050276.html?tag=nefd.pulse

> From: Ramon F Herrera
> Date: Wed, Feb 1 2006 8:29 am
>
> When I was growing up in South America in the 60s, I remember a doctor
> in my hometown used to say: "I never prescribe vitamins to the poor,
> because vitamins cause hunger and then they will not have enough food
> to satisfy their hunger".
>
> Little did I know that so many years later I would read the same
> argument:
>
> "Those PCs will not work in developing countries because they don't
> have good Internet connections".  William H. Gates, The Third.
>
> "Let them eat cake" - Marie Antoinette.
>
> -Ramon

I  remember  your  comment  and analogy to this date.  After  Bill  Gates'
derogatory  words and pulling out of the Origami (cake), this couldn't  be
any more relevant.

Microsoft have identified several threats, which were not realised or tru-
ly appreciated a few years back: IBM, Google from Stanford and finally the
laptop from MIT, which could bring Linux to half a billion people (a young
generation)  within  a  couple of years. Microsoft are  righting  in  many
fronts  at the moment because their products and services give little rea-
son to be used or paid for.

With friendly regards,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Reversi for Linux/Win32: http://othellomaster.com
  1:15pm  up 10 days  5:52,  9 users,  load average: 0.14, 0.36, 0.54