Re: Web Site Files Complaint Against Google

  • Subject: Re: Web Site Files Complaint Against Google
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 07:29:09 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.www.webmaster
__/ [ William Tasso ] on Saturday 18 March 2006 20:57 \__

> Fleeing from the madness of the Posted via Supernews,
> http://www.supernews.com jungle
> Ed Jay <edMbj@xxxxxxxxxxxx> stumbled into news:alt.www.webmaster
> and said:
>
>> Web Site Files Complaint Against Google
>> Mar 17
>> By MICHAEL LIEDTKE
>> AP Business Writer
>>
>> Google Inc.'s mysterious methods for ranking Web sites came under attack
>> Friday in a lawsuit accusing the online search engine leader of ruining
>> scores of Internet businesses that have been wrongfully banished from its

>> "The world is becoming increasingly 'Googlized,'"
>
> fads come, fads go

Why blame Google though? As someone in AISE point out, shouldn't the
*Webmaster* be the target of the lawsuit, rather than the search engine
which makes (typically automated) selections among the millions of existing
Web sites?

>> KinderStart alleges Google has engaged in anticompetitive behavior
>
> isn't that the point of being in business?

No. Not anticompetitive behavior. The definition I go by is is that which
interprets "anticompetitive behavior" as perilling the opponent directly
(e.g. data lockins) rather than doing well. But I don't think this story
exemplifies anticompetitive behavior...

>> and
>> misled the public by positioning its search engine as an objective source
>> for finding Internet content.
>
> Can't say I ever noticed that - and it's fairly dumb to assume a private
> company has anything but self interest at its core.

I agree. However, Google should make it even clearer that some 'results' are
China they could point out that manual filters had been applied.

>> Mountain View-based Google has previously defended its right to revise
>> its
>> search formula however it sees fit.
>
> and they would have my moral support on that.

To some extent, at least in my perception.

>> Yu hopes to prove Google has become an "essential facility" that should
>> be
>> required to warn Web sites before dropping them from the index.
>
> nice idea - if one is a resident of dreamland.

>> < http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/03/17/D8GDKG900.html >
>
> so it goes.

They already give warnings to some of the more prominent sites. This would
prove impractical when handling millions of them.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Signature pending approval"
  7:20am  up 10 days 23:57,  10 users,  load average: 1.02, 1.06, 0.95