Re: Linux with Stronger 64-bit Support

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 10:47:07 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> __/ [ M ] on Sunday 19 March 2006 10:39 \__
>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> __/ [ Nick Ballard ] on Sunday 19 March 2006 09:09 \__

>>> Don't neglect the added value of a heavier install base. I agree that
>>> Ubuntu and Slackware have got Red Hat in their little pocket for
>>> performance. Then again, you don't compare like with the like.
>>>
>>> Fedora Core 5 screenshot were put up last night:
>>>
>>> http://shots.osdir.com/slideshows/slideshow.php?release=596&slide=57
>>
>> When I tried to install Core 4, the installer got as far as the
>> partition screen then collapsed in a big heap. Micromart (magazine) have
>> also done a comparison review of several distributions (not terrible
>> good I'm afraid). The reviewer says that he installed Core 4, did all
>> the online updates, and found that the system would not boot. Oooops!
>>
>> The installer looks good in the screen shots, so I hope Fedora is
>> improving, and more people will actually be able to use it.
>
> Somebody in a different NG recently said it was rubbish. The Computer
> Science department which I am affiliated with chose Fedora some years ago.
> However, they were reluctant to update to some of the latest "because it
> was too buggy". I recommended SuSE when there was a vote.
>
> Something tells me that other distributions from Red Hat would have worked
> better. So I hear. I am merely a courier here. I rarely use Fedora. Only a
> FEW TIMES A week over SSH. No problems /there/.

As I understand it, Fedora is a "development" version of RHEL?

When I was testing it a while ago, I read that "The Fedora Project is to
develop and mature the latest, greatest technologies that may be
incorporated later into products like Red Hat Enterprise Linux." i.e. any
bugs reported will be fixed & incorporated into RHEL. Also there isn't
*any* kind of formal support for The Fedora Project, which is
why some say Fedora is not really suitable for newbies.

--
SuSE 10.1 OSS Beta8 (Agama Lizard)